NZ Rental Cars – Driving In New Zealand
Our driving tips explain some of New Zealand’s road rules and help you to stay safe and enjoy your journey. Explore our amazing country with affordable NZ rental cars from USAVE, and embark on a new adventure.
New Zealand Road Rules
Explore spectacular NZ coastline
Whale watching, Kaikoura
Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown
If you’re planning on driving rental cars while in New Zealand, please make sure you know our road rules. Some basic points:
- In New Zealand, all motorists drive on the LEFT-hand side of the road
- In built up (urban) areas the speed limit is 50kmph (approx 30mph) unless signs indicate otherwise
- The speed limit on the open road is 100kmph (approx 60mph) unless signs indicate otherwise
- Drivers and passengers must wear seat belts at all times
- Use of mobile phones while driving is illegal
- When turning at traffic lights, give way to pedestrians using the crossing
- Drivers must carry a valid New Zealand, international or internationally approved driver’s licence at all times
Important Give Way Rule Changes
On Sunday 25 March 2012 two new give way rules came info effect, changing one of New Zealand’s unique and controversial give way rules. Please ensure you are familiar with the new road rules before driving in New Zealand.
New Zealand Road Safety
Driving in New Zealand can be very enjoyable, with relatively low traffic and spectacular scenery around every corner. However, driving in NZ can also be hazardous with weather that can change in an instant and our rugged terrain and winding roads making driving conditions challenging at times.
Make sure you plan your route ahead of time, take regular driving breaks on long journeys and drive to the road conditions to keep safe on New Zealand’s roads.
More Articles on Driving in New Zealand