10 Best Auckland Cafes 2020
Wednesday, March 18th, 2020Read about '10 Best Auckland Cafes 2020' on USAVE, the place for all things car rental.
Looking for the best café in Auckland for your next coffee, snack, brunch or lunch fix? As a city with so many excellent cafes and eateries it can be tricky to know just where to go – take it from the locals and find your next favourite café with our break down of the 10 best cafes in Auckland and also the 10 best suburban cafes and why.
Top 10 Cafes In Auckland
Tried and tested by the locals, here are our top 10 Auckland cafes and what we think they are best at!
1. Little Bird Unbakery
Best Raw Foods Cafe
Expect to find some of the best plant based eating with great use of seasonal organic produce at the popular Little Bird Unbakery. The menu has some great smoothies, cold pressed juices, house made nut milks and Kombutcha, and Kokako organic Fair Trade coffee along with a great range of speciality teas. The cabinet is full of raw sweet treats bound to excite the taste buds and there is a breakfast, all-day and lunch menu to choose from.
- Our top picks – the Vietnamese Crepe and the Kimchi Pancakes
- Cnr Summer Street and Ponsonby Road, Auckland
- Open 7:30am – 4pm Monday to Friday, 8am – 4pm Saturday and Sunday, and for dinner Wednesday to Saturday 6pm – 9.30pm
Best Breakfast Cafe
Hidden away at the end of a corridor between EB Games and Sushi Pac on High Street you will find this little treasure serving a simple yet tasty lunch and breakfast menu and cabinet foods along with some of the best coffee in Auckland. Chuffed are a café in the true sense, a place where you go for good coffee and the chance to catch up with friends while enjoying some traditional kiwi cuisine. Online orders available.
- Our top picks – the Cauliflower Salad (add in the Chicken for an added protein hit)
- 43 High Street, Auckland CBD
- Open weekdays 7am – 4pm and weekends 9am – 4pm
3. Auckland Water Drop Teahouse
Best Destination Cafe
Enjoy the unique atmosphere at the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple for a quiet lunch at the Water Drop Café. Reflect and refresh with the simple yet delicious vegetarian menu with a selection of vegetable bowls, rice dishes and seasonal vegetables. Tea and coffee is also available.
- Our top picks – the Bean Curd Sticks and Sota Rolls
- 16 Stancombe Road, Flat Bush, Manukau
- Open Tuesday to Sunday 10am – 4pm
Best Brunch Cafe
Think urban “farmers market” combined with café and florist this café is the perfect destination for a Sunday lunch. Choose from a fresh and simple selection of mostly organic food sourced from local artesian producers, with vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, paleo and omnivores all catered for. Breakfast and lunch is served at Scarecrow until 3pm.
- Our top picks – the sharing plates!
- 33 Victoria Street East, Auckland
- Open from 7am weekdays, 8am weekends, until 5pm
5. Rosie Café
Best Specialty Cafe
For that something a little bit special try Rosie Café on Gladstone Road. Open for breakfast lunch and dinner the menu is sophisticated and tempting. The kitchen goes to great lengths to source local, seasonal ingredients, often with with hard-to-find items such as truffle and various specialty meats. Online orders available.
- Our top picks – the Fire Cooked Potato Bread and the BBQ’d Black Pig
- 82 Gladstone Road, Parnell, Auckland
- Open Monday to Sunday 6.30am – late
Best Dine In Style Cafe
A popular centrally located restaurant that is a favourite of many Aucklanders for brunch and dinner. Amano probably blurs the lines a little between cafe and restaurant with a menu serving everything from divine morning pastries made on site, through to oysters, handmade pasta and slow cooked lamb.
- Our top picks – the Pan Roasted John Dory, and the Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder.
- 106-108 Quay Street, Auckland
- Open every day 7am – late
7. Misters Real Food
Best Gluten Free, Dairy Free Cafe
Enjoy the freedom of choosing from an entire menu that is gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free! Combine this with heaps of vegetarian options and while this may not sound very exciting to some for those with these dietary requirements eating at Misters is heaven! Think smoothies, goodie bowls, French toast, eggs, salads, sweet treats and much much more. Online orders available.
- Our top picks – the Creamy Mushrooms with leafy greens and the Cali Lunch Bowl with added Banana Blossom.
- 12 Wyndham Street, Auckland Central City
- Open 7am to 3pm weekdays
8. Kaiaroha Organic Vegan Café And Deli
Best Vegan Café
Specialty vegan café centred around their very own homemade nut cheeses. The all-day sharing platters are the best (check out the vegan eggs!), along with vegan omelettes and a mouth-watering array of cabinet food and an A la Carte menu. Ready made pick up and take away meals available from the fridge – all packaging using ethical suppliers and biodegradable/re-usable materials.
- Our top picks – the All-Day Sharing Platter and the Kumara Waffles
- 100 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland
- Open 7am – 4pm weekdays, 10am – 4pm weekends
9. Cornwall Park Café
Best Kids Café
No need to leave the kids at home for this one the Cornwall Park Café caters to all ages and tastes, and the large lawn-like outdoor area if perfect to kick a ball around on or take your food and eat out on the grass on a warm summer’s day. There is also a lovely indoor play area and veranda if the weather isn’t co-operating.
- Our top picks – The Park Ranger Burger for the kids and the Cornwell Fish and Chips for the grownups
- Cornwall Park, Pohutukawa Drive, Epsom, Auckland
- Open Monday to Sunday 7.30am – 4.30pm
Best Environmentally Conscious Cafe
Serving over 80% plant based foods and raising the bar on building a better socially conscious neighbourhood and community, KIND is focused on providing whole fresh foods in an environmentally conscious way. The menu covers all the basics with a plant based twist and a few favourites with the addition of specialty cheeses and eggs. One thing to keep in mind when planning your visit is the kitchen closes at 3pm, reopening at 5 pm Tuesday to Saturday only.
- Our top picks – the Pancakes and the Whipped Goats Cheese
- 16 McDonald Street, Morningside, Auckland
- Open Monday 8am – 4pm, Tuesday to Friday 7.30am – late, Saturday 8am – late and Sunday 8am – 4pm
10 Best Auckland Cafes By Location
Now we know that sometimes you want to head out of the CBD, explore a little, enjoy a Sunday drive or make a day of it – so here are our 10 best suburban cafes in Auckland.
1. Little Sister Café
Best West Auckland Cafe
The Little Sister Café is an excellent choice if you are looking for something out west. Expect to find a good range of breakfast and lunch cabinet foods and menu items. Vegetarian, gluten free and vegan options – all the usual’s including hotcakes, eggs benedict and fish, chicken and burgers but with a Little Sister Café twist!
- Our top picks – the Balinese Sticky Black Rice and the Magic Sister vegetarian breakfast
- 91 Central Park Drive, Auckland
- Open 6.30am – 3pm weekdays and 7am – 3.30pm Saturday and Sunday
2. Urban Soul Manukau
Best South Auckland Café
Manukau based café with an awesome kiwi style all-day menu available from 7am till 2.30pm, along with the usual cabinet choices. Enjoy a good selection of breakfast dishes and some tasty lunch options including toasted sandwiches, miso bowl, burgers, eggs lots of ways and fries. Child friendly and Urban Soul Manukau is open seven days a week!
- Our top picks – the Coconut Pancakes and the Buttermilk Fried Chicken Burger
- 652 Great South Road, Manukau
- Open 7am – 4.30pm
Best Café In Ponsonby
Old school vibe but popular with many of the locals and has even had a few celebrities pop in for a snack. Great coffee and a good standard selection of food choices all prepared to high standards at Dizengoff. The menu is Jewish inspired so you will not find any bacon anywhere on the list.
- Our top picks – the Mushrooms on Toast and the Dizengoff Classic Chicken Salad
- 256 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby, Auckland
- Open 6.15am – 4pm daily
4. Beam Café Milford
Best Café In The Northshore
When you really feel like something a bit different or to just brighten your day then Beam Café is the place to be. They serve up the prettiest plates of delicious food and drinks that are bound to put a smile on your face.
- Our top picks – the Coconut French Toast and the Herb and Feta Smashed Avocado
- 192 Kitchener Road, Milford, Auckland
- Open 7.30am – 4pm
5. Kawau Kitchen
Best Café near Auckland Airport
Set within the Auckland Airport precinct the Kawau Café is roughly 1 kilometre from the Auckland Airport Terminal, about 2 minutes’ drive or a brisk 15 minute walk. Expect to find a delicious and healthy selection of honest simple food including celiac, vegan, vegetarian and meat-eating options.
- Our top picks – the Lemon Meringue Waffles and the Bibimbap Bowl
- 6 Leonard Isitt Drive, Auckland Airport
- Open Monday to Thursday 6.30am – 5pm, Friday 6.30am – 10pm, Saturday and Sunday 8am – 3pm
6. Porch Bar & Eatery
Best Café East Auckland
Just across from St Heliers Beach the Porch Bar & Eatery is the perfect spot for a beach-side late lunch or afternoon coffee. Take in the beautiful views and enjoy a lazy afternoon by the seaside while snacking on the yummy sharing platters
- Our top picks – Crsipy Beef Cheeks and the and the Chicken and Prawn Dumplings
- 1 St Heliers Bay Road, St Heliers, Auckland
- Open Monday to Friday 11.30am – late, Saturday and Sunday 9am – late
7. Soulshine Café
Best Café In Albany
Set among the seaside streets of Browns Bay just 25 minutes’ drive form Auckland, the Soulshine Café is a great little place to while away an afternoon. Great service, great coffee and great food make it the best all-rounder in our books. A separate vegan menu and gluten free options are available.
- Our top picks – the Paleo Stack and Chipotle Bean Stew
- 3 Inverness Road, Browns Bay
- Open 7.30am – 4pm daily
8. Marua Road Café
Best Mt Wellington Cafe
A cute little spot nestled at the industrial end of Mount Wellington. Marua Café has a good selection of the usual favourites along with a few yummy extras including Carrot Cake Pancakes and Smashed Pea, Edamame and Egg, there is also a nice fun little kids menu.
- Our top picks – the Marua Big Breakfast and the Steak Sandwich
- 159 Marua Rd, Mt Wellington, Auckland
- Open Monday to Friday 7am – 3pm, Saturday and Sunday 8am – 3pm
9. Rosebank Coffee And Kitchen
Best Café In Avondale
Enjoy a glass of wine, organic tea, smoothie or “Plant Potion” with you meal at the Rosebank Coffee and Kitchen. Vegetarian and gluten free options available along with a cute “Junior Menu” for the little ones.
- Our top picks – the Rosebank Salad and the Loaded Potato Nuggets
- 2 Jomac Place, Avondale, Auckland
- Open Tuesday to Thursday from 7am – 3pm, Friday from 7am – 8pm, weekends from 8am – 3.30pm
10. The Pt Chev Beach Café
Best Café In Point Chevalier
Yummy cakes, good coffee and a good menu selection with some interesting options such as Buttermilk Fried Chicken Burgers, Rare Seared Tuna, lots of eggs and some awesome freshly made juices and smoothies are what await at the Pt Chev Beach Cafe. And all only 15 minutes’ drive form central Auckland out opposite the Point Chevalier Beach at the Coyle Park end of Point Chevalier Road.
- Our top picks – the Zucchini Fritters and the Beach Breakfast
- 506 Point Chevalier Road, Auckland
- Open 7am – 4pm